Work at Home Bilingual English Language Phone Interpreter
(English and one of the following required languages: Vietnamese, Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, Burmese, Karen, Khmer, Bengali, Somali, Thai, Armenian, Romanian or Russian)
Job Title: Telephone Interpreter
Location: Work at Home position in Canada
Position: Contract Position
The Telephone Interpreter is responsible for handling calls on demand and renders the meaning of conversations between required language and English speakers. The interpreter breaks the communication barrier in a wide range of industries including: Healthcare, Government, Insurance, Financial, Utilities, Travel & Hospitality, General Business, Law Enforcement, Court, and 911.
The interpreter processes information quickly, concisely and recognizes sensitive cultural differences. He/She is always professional and courteous . The interpreter uses appropriate terminology and understands common industry procedures and practices. The calls may involve simple or complex, technical or non-technical subjects. Telephone interpreters translate verbally. **This is a remote position. The Interpreter works from his/her home-office. It is essential to ensure a quiet & secure environment.**
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Answer calls promptly and conduct interpretation in a friendly and professional manner.
• Render correct concepts and meanings according to the conventions of established interpretation protocol, avoiding omissions or additions.
• Speak clearly in both languages using proper pronunciation, enunciation and polite expressions.
Maintain a professional demeanor throughout the call, at all times.
• Remain calm during calls in the event that one of the primary speakers is incoherent or upset, especially in emergency situations.
• Maintain punctuality and availability during scheduled work hours.
• Follow client instructions, in compliance with protocol to ensure client expectations are met with the Limited English-speaking Person (LEP), avoiding interaction with the LEP without client’s permission.
• Understand protocol and terminology for various industries including, but not limited to, Medical, Insurance, Finance and Law.
• Demonstrate commitment to cultural sensitivity and working in a diverse environment.
• Fluency in the required language and English and skilled in the associated cultural dynamics.
• Ability to provide cultural competency and assess regional and accent differences to find ways of communicating with the LEP.
• Excellent listening, retention and note-taking skills to maintain a high level of accuracy during interpretation.
• Education or work experience in language-related fields such as teaching, language assessment, translation or interpretation would be an asset.
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Legally authorized to work in the Canada.
• Able to work independently.
• Able to commit to working a minimum of 20hrs/wk.
• Has the aptitude for close attention to detail regarding shift/schedule adherence
• iPhone or Android phone with a corded headset (wireless or Bluetooth headsets are not permissible)
High speed Internet connection for work related electronic communication. This internet connection should provide download speeds of no less than 5 Mbps and upload speeds of 1 Mbps.
• Paper shredder to dispose of handwritten notes taken during calls
• Must be able to operate a keyboard and mouse and remain in a stationary position the majority of the workday.
• Must have sufficient manual dexterity to type or write.
• May be exposed to moderate noise levels; i.e. computer, audio, telephone.
About Us: Kelly Services believes in relationships, not transactions. That’s why we’re committed to successfully matching job seekers with the best employers across Canada and around the world. We fill positions from entry level to management, on a temporary or permanent basis. Whether your specialty is science, IT, finance, engineering, marketing, manufacturing, contact centre or business administration, we’ll work with you to understand your likes, dislikes, goals and ambitions, and present you with opportunities that meet your needs. See what we have to offer. Looking for more? Sign up for our Career Tips Newsletter to receive helpful tips and tricks monthly, connect with us on Facebook, LinkedIn & Twitter, or visit kellyservices.ca.